Estee Lauder once famously said, “Perfume is like a new dress, it makes you quite simply marvelous!!” We would like to add that you are never fully dressed without a perfume. No, it’s not an exaggeration, a good perfume can work no less than a magic wand on women – it can help you make a statement and boost your confidence. A good fragrance would make you feel fresh and comfortable, and not out of place anywhere. There are probably a million or more long-lasting perfumes available in the market for women and it’s a mammoth task to pick out your kind of a perfume from this pile. To make your job easy, we have compiled a list of the 15 best amazingly long-lasting perfumes for women.
Perfumes can be divided into these wide categories – floral, fruity, musky, fresh, cozy, warm, oriental, earthy, spicy, aquatic, citrus, woody. Most citrusy fragrances have low staying power when compared to spicy and woody ones. If you want long-lasting perfumes, pick woody and spicy perfumes. A good perfume can leave an intense impact. Fragrance is definitely a personal choice.
How to Choose a Perfume
Fragrance is a matter of personal choice. The fragrance of the perfume will change depending on your skin type and chemical makeup. The scent you choose to wear should more or less match with your personality. Certain perfumes are appropriate for summers and some others for winters and when you are picking up your perfume, it should not make you feel good, it should make you feel awesome! Good long-lasting perfumes should evoke good moments and memories. These tips will help you zero in a good perfume:
- When you shop at departmental stores, ask for perfume samples or tester strips or scent cards. Don’t test out a lot of scents at the store because after sniffing a few, your senses become full and you would not be able to distinguish one scent from the other. Smelling coffee beans in between is a good way to flush your olfactory senses but it’s not a great way if you trying out a whole lot of scents. Bring sample perfume or sample cards home and take your own sweet time on deciding which ones you like better.
- Don’t sniff the perfume right after you spray it on your wrist. Wait for 2 minutes to allow the perfume to settle on your skin and only then proceed to sniff and make a decision about it.
- If you are picking perfumes based on their lasting power/longevity – we would advise you to test out scents with “parfum” written on it, they last the longest compared to eau de parfum, eau de toilette, eau de cologne, and body mists. Eau de cologne last for just about two hours, eau de toilette for four to six hours, parfum will last on you for the whole day
10 Secrets to Always Smell Good:
You can actually smell great and not just good with these great tips in hand:
- Spray the perfume on the nape of your neck, on the wrists, armpits, and behind the ears. This way you will smell great and feel awesome all through the day.
- Spray on the perfume at least half an hour before stepping out of the house so that the perfume soaks in well and stays with you throughout.
- Layer your perfume with similar smelling body lotion/body oil. Pair a citrus body lotion with a citrus perfume, floral body lotion with a floral perfume, match the notes so that there’s no clash. Layering will definitely enhance the staying power of the perfume.
- Spray perfume on your clothes and bedsheets, this way your favorite scent will remain with you for longer.
- Another good place to spray the perfume is your hair! Believe us, you would sway your hair all over to get a waft of amazing fragrance, and it’s completely safe to spray perfume on hair; one or two spritz would do the trick.
- If sweaty feet raises a stink, sprinkle talcum powder in your shoes to stay fresh all through.
- If possible, spray on your favorite perfume right after taking a shower. This method will help to lock in the scent.
Best Long-lasting Perfumes for Women
1. COCO MADEMOISELLE BY CHANEL: $140
Chanel Coco Mademoiselle is a cult favorite. It’s a supremely elegant perfume with top notes of orange, mandarin orange, orange blossom, and bergamot. Mimosa, Jasmine, Turkish Rose and Ylang Ylang constitute the middle notes. The bottom notes have tonka beans, patchouli, vanilla, vetiver, and white musk. It’s a potent and strong perfume with a classy, elegant, sophisticated touch. It’s one of the top-selling long-lasting perfumes from the house of Chanel, and there’s hardly any other feminine scent like Coco Mademoiselle.
2. SHALIMAR BY GUERLAIN: $112
This mesmerizing perfume was created by Jacques Guerlain way back in 1925 and it’s still around! A perfume so good that generations have fell in love with its strong citrusy notes. Shalimar is one of the best-selling long-lasting perfumes ever! Guerlain’s Shalimar has a rich history to it – this oriental perfume was named after taking inspiration from Emperor Shahjahan and his wife’s Mumtaz’s love story. Shalimar was Mumtaz’s favorite garden and it literally translates to the “temple of love.” The main notes in Shalimar are floral along with bergamot. Heart notes are powdery with iris, jasmine, and rose. Base notes come in later with vanilla and tonka beans. Apart from its rich history, the staying power of this classic perfume takes the cake with more than 12 hours at just a few spritz!
3. TOM FORD VELVET ORCHID: $125
Tom Ford describes it as an oriental floral perfume with a seductive power with citrus, honey and rum notes – that’s a potent heady mix, right!? The packaging is lovely too with a nice purple hue. The staying power is amazing and makes it great to wear to events and parties. It’s a scent for strong, seductive, super confident woman. If you are looking for a s*xy perfume, this is the one to pick!
4. YSL BLACK OPIUM EAU DE PARFUM: $91
How can we leave the legendary YSL Black Opium in this list of amazingly women’s long-lasting perfumes list. There are a whole lot of variants available in YSL Black Opium range and all of them It’s a lovely blend of black coffee, white florals and vanilla. This one too is a seductive scent with excellent staying power.
5. VIKTOR AND ROLF FLOWERBOMB EAU DE PARFUM: $120
This flowerbomb is a warm and spicy floral perfume. It’s truly a flowerbomb with notes of bergamot, mandarin, sambac jasmine, freesia, centifolia rose, and osmanthus. The base notes constitute amber and patchouli. We are gonna this little secret – it’s the signature scent of a lot of hot women. It’s a delicious, modern, and fresh fragrance with a good staying power.
6. LE LABO SANTAL 33 EAU DE PARFUM: $184
Don’t get turned off with the extremely medicinal-looking bottle of Le Labo Santal EDP. It’s a powerful unisex perfume with top notes of violet accord, cardamom; middle notes of iris, papyrus, ambrox; and base notes of cedarwood, leather, and sandalwood. It’s a woody fragrance that is long lasting with high sillage too. It’s a warm perfume and would be perfect to wear on a cold, wintery night. Pick it up if you want to smell unique and distinct.
7. CALVIN KLEIN ONE FOR WOMEN AND MEN: $58
Here’s another unisex perfume that’s citrusy in essence. It’s a fresh and clean perfume with a hint of spiciness. It’s a classic perfume and sharply citrus and fairly long lasting. This perfume from the house of Calvin Klein, which is made for both women and men, contains a secret weapon. It has a pheromone called hedione and that’s what makes it different and unique from other unisex perfume.
8. ATELIER COLOGNE VANILLE INSENSEE COLOGNE ABSOLUE PURE PERFUME SPRAY: $235
This is a clean perfume with main notes of lime, cedrat, coriander, jasmine, vetiver, oak moss, vanilla, oakwood, and amber. It’s a nice office wear perfume since it’s neutral and not too loud and not too cloy. And did we mention, it has a good staying power.
9. DIOR POISON EXTRAIT DE PARFUM: $199
An intense perfume from the house of Dior, it’s a spicy floral perfume with coriander, vanilla, tuberose absolute and Rose de Mai Absolute as key notes. The bottle is aesthetically designed in the shape of a fruit making it all the more desirable. Some users have mentioned that just one spritz of Dior Poison is enough to make it last all through the day! It’s a unique scent that not many will take a liking too, but on the other, a lot will find it amazing.
10. CHANEL NO. 5 EAU DE PARFUM: $115
This is a cult favorite and a classic women’s perfume that has been around since 1921. It is an ultra feminine fragrance with floral richness. It’s the first perfume in the floral-aldehyde category. The key notes in this elegant perfume are May Rose, Jasmine, citrus notes along with aldehydes and Bourbon Vanilla. The scent will remind you of a golden era that’s gone by – it’s a classic, elegant, sophisticated, masterpiece perfume with its heady and rich notes.
11. JO MALONE ENGLISH PEAR AND FREESIA COLOGNE:
Jo Malone English Pear and Freesia Cologne is a floral-fruity perfume lover’s magic potion with the fresh notes of just-ripe pear, white freesia, wrapped around by amber, patchouli and woods. It’s a fruity and floral perfume but not sickeningly cloy – it is clean, fresh, and neat and fairly long lasting.
12. DIOR J’ADORE ABSOLU: $119.99
This is a beautiful floral perfume from the house of Dior. The notes are delicious and in a nectar form with grasse jasmine, sambac jasmine, rose, Indian Tuberose, and magnolia. It’s a rich scent with a heady mix of jasmine for the confident woman who likes to stun everyone with her appearance.
13. CALVIN KLEIN OBSESSION EAU DE PARFUM:
It’s an oriental spicy fragrance which has been around since 1985. It’s a very strong, unique, classic, warm scent with spicy and woody notes. The top notes are green notes, mandarin orange, vanilla, peach, basil, bergamot, and lemon; middle notes come with spices, coriander, sandalwood, orange blossom, jasmine, oakmoss, cedar and rose. The base notes are amber, musk, vanilla, vetiver, and incense. Calvin Klein’s Obsession has gained an iconic status over the years with its strong sillage and long staying power. Undoubtedly, it’s one of the longest staying women’s perfume.
14. NEST WISTERIA EAU DE PARFUM: $72
This is the newest perfume on the block and has gained popularity for its super longevity, some have stated that it lasts for more than 12 hours. Nest Wisteria falls into the floral-aquatic category with main notes of French Wisteria, Bulgarian Rose, and Imperial Jasmine. Nest Wisteria keeps you fresh throughout the day with its clean and floral notes.
15. PACO RABANNE OLYMPEA EAU DE PARFUM: $62.18
The design of Paco Rabanne Olympea is gorgeous! It’s a fresh oriental perfume with with salt notes infused. It’s a unique perfume with good staying power and sillage. This perfume will remind you of beaches, sun, and holidays!
Do Long-lasting Perfumes Also Come with Shelf Life?
Keep your perfume stored away from light and heat to keep its original fragrance intact. Long-lasting perfumes do not usually come a shelf life, but they do lose their vibrancy and essence over time. You would able to detect a change in the way your perfume smells once it starts to degrade.