Owning a good hair dryer can be equated to having a magic wand in your hand – this tool can probably do a lot more than just drying your hair – it can groom your hair, add shine and style to your mane, and boost your confidence manifold that way. A majority of people limit use of hair dryers to just cut down their hair-drying time, but with the right brush and the blow dryer, you can style and groom your mane just the way you want – trust us, you will never end with a bad hair day! A good blow dryer with ceramic, ionic, infrared technology can give you smooth, sleek, shiny, voluminous hair with just a bit of effort. Toss away your old hair dryer that gives you dry, brittle, and damages your hair.
HOW TO CHOOSE A HAIR DRYER
Your dream of owning lustrous and beautiful hair can only come true if you pick the right hair dryer, but how do you choose the correct one? These tips will come in handy because we do not want you people to end up with fried or brittle hair. There are a few features that should be definitely taken into consideration when you go shopping for a hair dryer. Some of them are:
- Look for hair dryers with 1800 wattage and higher. Such dryers will cut drying time by a high amount.
- Ceramic and touramline dryers – ceramic component evenly distributes heat and ensures that your hair does not get fried when you use high heat setting on the dryer.
- Check hair dryer with ionic feature: Dryers that come with added ionic feature will add shine to the hair and smooth away the frizziness. Dryers release negatively-charged ions which target the positively-charged water molecules and dry out the water without ripping the moisture from the hair. Ionic technology helps in closing the cuticle and smoothing out the frizz and making hair sleek. Blow dryers with tourmaline are a bit expensive than regular hair dryers, but they are really good to quickly dry out thick hair. Tourmaline is a technology that helps smooth hair by sealing cuticle and retains moisture. It helps to smooth out frizz.
- Definitely look for a cool shot button. You can lock in your hairstyle by using the cool shot button in the end.
- Multiple nozzle attachments – nozzle attachment to concentrate air on certain areas to smooth them out. Also, diffuser to blow out hair all over the hair.
- Multiple heat and speed settings – a minimum of three heat settings would help you have a control of how much heat you want on your hair. Nowadays, latest models have up to 6 heat settings which ensures you get different variations from low to intense which would help dry up water molecules on the hair much faster.
- Cord should be long – For convenience and ease of use, buy dryer with long cords so that you can dry your hair comfortably anywhere you want.
- Narrow barrel for better air pressure distribution.
- Micro concentrator nozzle for thin hair.
- Turbo ionic technology will help dry your hair fast.
- Lightweight model will make the whole drying process comfortable and less tedious. You do not want to end up with sore arms with just two minutes into blow drying.
- Infrared technology dries out the hair quickly without damaging the hair.
HOW TO BLOW DRY YOUR HAIR CORRECTLY WITH HAIR DRYERS
- If you don’t use a good quality hair dryer, instead of getting bouncy, beautiful hair, you would end up with brittle and damaged hair. Invest in good quality hair dryer from reputed brands. Don’t take a chance by picking low-quality shady tool.
- Do not use high heat and high speed setting on soaking wet hair. Start with medium heat and speed levels and roughly dry out your hair before you move on to intense heat and high speed setting. You would have difficulty setting and tackling frizz on completely wet hair.
- Letting go of heat protection spray: Limiting hair protectant to just straightening, crimping, curling tongs is inviting trouble for the hair. Always use a heat protectant spray to before blow drying to prevent damage to the hair.
- Not using concentrator nozzle: The concentrator attachment is provided with the dryer for a purpose. This attachment helps to direct hot air in a concentrated and precise form so as to protect hair from excessive heat and smooth out tangles and frizz.
- Not using ceramic hair brushes with the blow dryer: Ceramic-coated brushes heat up quickly and distribute heat evenly and uniformly so that your hair dries out quickly. Such brushes also add volume to the hair without damaging hair.
- The only way to add volume to hair through blow drying is by lifting up hair from the roots. Flip the hair upside down and brush it from roots and then blow dry so that hair gets enough lift. Another way is to set rollers and then use a blow dryer to get bouncy waves.
HOW TO BLOW DRY HAIR AT HOME
Visiting the nearest salon every time to blow dry your hair can be an expensive affair. You can get beautiful blow drying effect in the comfort of your home without spending obnoxious amounts of dollar at the salon. Surprised? Be ready to get shocked because you can get perfect blow dry in just 5 steps. Here’s how you have to do it:
- The first step is to gather all the accessories you need for a perfect blow dry session – grab the perfect dryer, a round brush with ceramic coating, and a few hair clips. Don’t forget to bundle in hair spray (to set the hairstyle in place) and glossing cream (to add smoothness).
- Towel dry the hair a bit, don’t switch on the dryer when the hair is soaking wet. Once your hair is a bit dry, comb out all tangles with a wide-toothed comb. Apply a bit of hair cream or glossing cream and run it through the hair avoiding the scalp area. Section your hair into four parts and clip them down. Don’t forget to spray on the heat protectant spray before you begin the hair dryer. Attach the nozzle attachment on the dryer and now switch it on medium heat and speed mode.
- Now take each section of the hair and keep it on the top end of the brush. Follow with the nozzle as you come down the length of the section of hair with the brush beneath lifting up the hair from the roots till the ends. Repeat this on all sections of hair and by the end of it, you will have lovely hair.
- That’s it! To seal in the hairstyle, spray on a good hair setting spray with medium or strong hold.
- Additionally, to add extra volume, pin in some ceramic rollers after making more sections in the hair. Using the nozzle attachment, on medium or high heat, go all over hair. Ceramic rollers will distribute heat uniformly and evenly. Once you gently pull the rollers out of the hair, you will end up with bouncy curls that you would love to flaunt.
TYPES OF HAIR DRYERS
When it comes to hair dryers, “one size fits all” rule does not apply. For example, tourmaline hair dryer is not for thin hair because it can make hair limp. For fine hair, ceramic and tourmaline based dryers with wattage level lower than 1800 and concentrator nozzle attachments will work great. On the other hand, ionic dryers with infrared technology and high wattage and intense heat settings are best for thick and frizzy hair. These are some hair dryers available in the market:
- Ionic Hair Dryer: Dryers that come equipped with ionic feature release negatively-charged ions. These ions break down positively-charged water molecules and dries the hair out without ripping moisture and the resultant effect is smooth and silky hair. Ionic hair dryers work best on thick, frizzy hair.
- Ceramic Hair Dryer: Ceramic dryers distribute heat evenly and uniformly so that there is less damage to hair. People who use blow dryers on a daily basis should opt for ceramic hair dryers because of the relatively less damage they cause to hair. Ceramic dryers are for every hair type, particularly fine hair and damage-prone hair.
- Infrared Hair Dryer: Such hair dryers use infrared technology with longer energy wavelength to dry it inside out by penetrating the hair shaft. Such a technology works well for fine and dry hair.
- Tourmaline Hair Dryer: Tourmaline is a mineral component which when heated releases negatively charged ion and infra red heat. Tourmaline hair dryers work quickly and cut down the drying down time considerably when compared to other blow dryers. They are also less damaging because heat is generated gently. Such dryers are good for thick and frizzy hair because they are faster and add ions to the hair. Tourmaline hair dryers are not apt for thin hair.
- Titanium Hair Dryer: Such hair dryers have titanium metal coiling in them which distributes heat evenly and keeps temperatures steady. Titanium hair dryers are faster than ionic, ceramic, infrared, and tourmaline dryers and lighter in weight too. It would suit all hair types but damage-prone hair should probably skip this one.
BEST HAIR DRYERS
1. DYSON SUPERSONIC HAIR DRYER
This hair dryer has taken the beauty industry by storm. This ultra-modern, 1600 watts, stylish hair dryer is a celebrity-favorite hair tool. The design of this tool is futuristic and comes in four different models (Fuchsia/Iron, Fuchsia/Iron with leather case, Black/Purple, and a stunning 23.75 karat gold model), all with powder V9 Dyson motor. The dryer comes with diffuser, styling concentrator, smoothing nozzle attachments. This dryer dries hair quickly, leaving it shiny, smooth, and silky. The hot airflow has three levels along with a cool shot button to set the style in place. This low-noise dryer would also help you say bye-bye to static and frizzy hair.
2. DEVACURL DRYER AND DEVAFUSER
This uniquely-designed dryer shaped like a hand helps to add more bounce and shape to the hair, reducing frizz at the same time. It has a powerful motor with three temperature settings. The highest temperature it can reach is high enough to dry hair efficiently without frying them. The cool shot button helps lock hairstyles in place. This dryer with 1600-watt AC motor and ionic technology comes with a concentrator nozzle. There are three temperature settings, two speed settings, and one cool shot button. It would help you dry your hair the “curly girl” way with its hand-shaped diffuser which delivers 360-degree airflow to completely surround curls, from the roots, speeding up the drying process.
3. T3 PROI PROFESSIONAL HAIR DRYER
Winner of the CEW Beauty Insider Award 2016 for best new hair tool, T3 Proi Professional Hair Dryer uses tourmaline gemstones with electric ionizer to release high heat ion-enriched air at high velocity to give you smooth, soft, salon-like hair. With 3 heat settings, 2 speed settings, and a cold shot button, it quickly dries hair with wide and narrow concentrators.
4. CONAIR INFINITIPRO 1875 WATT SALON PERFORMANCE AC MOTOR STYLING TOOL
With its 1875 wattage motor, it’s a powerful hair dryer for quick drying and salon-like styling. There are three heat and 2 speed settings with a cold shot button, and concentrator attachment with targeted drying. This is a ceramic hair dryer that protects hair from heat damage and ionic technology for smooth, frizz-free hair.
5. ELCHIM 3900 TITANIUM IONIC-CERAMIC DRYER
The unique thing about this hair dryer is its attractive mirror finish. This is a ionic-ceramic combination which has won many awards in the professional hair dryer category. Two integrated concentrators are included in the packaging. The powerful 2000-2400 W dryer dries hair quickly and there’s a cold shot button to seal the cuticles, leaving hair shiny, smooth and bouncy. Other features of this hair dryer are low EMF, built-in silencer, ergonomic design, far infrared heat, and ionic-ceramic system which leaves hair shiny and hydrated.
6. REMINGTON D3190 HAIR DRYER WITH IONIC + CERAMIC + TOURMALINE TECHNOLOGY
This hair dryer from the popular haircare brand Remington combines the benefits of ceramic, ionic, and tourmaline technology and is equipped with 1875 watts power. There are 3 heat and 2 speed settings along the indispensable cool shot button along with concentrator and diffuser attachments. The dryer emits microconditioners that reduce frizz and static, dries hair within a short time, and causes less hair damage compared to other hair dryers. Price $21.99
7. BIO IONIC 10X ULTRALIGHT SPEED DRYER
A salon-favorite hair dryer, it can dry hair in just about 10 minutes, hence apt for thick and coarse hair. The USP of this hair dryer are natural volanic rock minerals that release ions that drive water molecules deeper into the hair making hair frizz free, conditioned, and hydrated, smoothing out the outer layer of the cuticle leading to sleek, straight and shiny hair. Priced at $295, this blow dryer is totally worth the price with some users even mentioning that this dryer eliminates the need for a flat iron later on.
8. DRYBAR BUTTERCUP BLOW DRYER
Drybar Buttercup uses ionic technology with 1875 watt motor which helps to dry out hair really quickly. The ionic technology helps to seal the cuticle resulting in frizz-free and shiny hair. Drybar Buttercup comes with 3 heat and 2 power settings along with the cool button. There are also two concentrator attachments to help with quick drying.
9. PAUL MITCHELL NEURO HALO TOUCHSCREEN DRYER
You can pick this dryer through online purchase only. The USP of this dryer is its backlit touchscreen display along with 3 heat settings, 3 speed settings along with the cool shot button. The design of the dryer is also unique and futuristic with a streamlined shape. This dryer comes with 1875 watts power and tourmaline ions that reduce frizz and adds shine to the hair. Works well for thick and thin hair. Priced at $255, works well for thick and thin hair.
10. BABYLISSPRO STEELFX STAINLESS STEEL 2000-WATT HAIR DRYER
Have you seen a stainless steel hair dryer? If not, then check this Babyliss Steelfx hair dryer. It looks stylish and flaunt worthy. With its 2000 watt power, it dries hair really quickly. There are 3 heat and 2 speed settings, and a cold shot button. The concentrator nozzle helps with targeted drying.
11. GHD AIR HAIR DRYER
This is an award-winning dryer with 1600 watts strength and advanced ionic technology. Priced at $199, it is part of most of the “top hair dryers” list. It has 2 speed and 3 heat settings, with one cool shot button. There are also two concentrator nozzles in this dryer for faster blowout. The ionic technology would give you soft and shiny hair at the end of drying session.
12. HARRY JOSH PRO TOOLS ULTRA LIGHT PRO DRYER
Harry Josh Pro Tools Ultra Light Pro Dryer is a lightweight version of highly popular Pro Tools 2000 Pro Dryer by celebrity hairstylist Harry Josh. This dryer weighs less than a pound and would not give you sore arms at the end of blowout session. You can dry your hair quickly at a motor speed at an amazing speed of 94 miles per hour. Ionic technology of Harry Josh Pro Tools Ultra Light Pro Dryer leaves hair shiny, sleek and soft.