WHY DO WE NEED AN EYE CREAM?
The skin around the eyes is thinner, less elastic, and more fragile compared with the skin on rest of the face. And with constant expressions, smiling, frowning, squinting, unlimited screen time, eye makeup application and removal, and even with rubbing of eyes, skin around the eyes is prone to dryness, wrinkles, crow’s feet and fine lines. You also get a fluid build up underneath the eyes that can cause puffiness and your eyes need special care. While during the day time, eye creams can help you get rid of puffiness and make you look more awake, night time eye creams help you with the repair process of skin around the eyes.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN EYE CREAM AND A FACE MOISTURIZER
There are two school of thoughts regarding the topic. Some people believe in using their regular face moisturiser while others think that they do need a special product for their delicate under eye area; we believe in the second school of thought.
- Face creams can be heavy and your delicate under eyes cannot tolerate such heavy eye creams.
- There are certain active ingredients for dark circles, puffiness etc that are added in eye creams but you would not find them in your regular moisturisers.
- Facial moisturisers can also cause irritation to the eyes. Eye creams are especially formulated to keep the sensitivity of eyes in consideration.
- Because eye creams are made with special concern, they absorb better on the delicate eye area. While thick moisturisers would just sit on the top and would not help much.
- Sometimes facial moisturisers also have a fragrance, which is a big no-no for an under eye cream
However, if your regular face moisturiser ticks all points for being a good under eye cream too, then by all means use your regular moisturiser under your eyes too.
AT WHAT AGE SHOULD WE START USING AN EYE CREAM?
Go by the rule ‘if you are old enough to ask whether you need an under eye cream, you are old enough to start using one’. But you can start using a lightweight under eye cream as early as age 20. Eye creams provide you with anti ageing benefits while keeping the delicate nature of your under eyes in consideration.
When you are in your twenties, you just need a good under eye cream that has antioxidants that provide anti ageing benefits, and is hydrating. Sunglasses won’t hurt either. Look stylish while protecting your delicate under eye area.
WHY ARE EYE CREAMS EXPENSIVE?
Special active ingredients, and nano technologies are the the reason that your tiny bottle of eye cream can be more expensive than your full-sized bottle of regular moisturiser. Companies these days are going far and high to use technology and add special ingredients to make their eye creams effective. Companies these days are also stressing on making their eye creams free of parabens, phthalates, sulphate detergents, mineral oil, petrolatum, palm oil, synthetic color, synthetic fragrance and GMOs. That said, eye cream can help solve a lot of under eye problems but it is still not a magical potion that is end solution to all your problems. Genetics, hormones, and lifestyle also play a key role in appearance of your under eyes.
HOW TO CHOOSE AN EYE CREAM
- Retinol: it is a derivative of Vitamin A. It helps with collagen production, can increase the elasticity of the skin, increase cell turn over and also helps with anti oxidant benefits for your delicate under eyes. It is best to wear retinol-based eye creams to use at night. Retinol is quite potent and should be used moderately. Companies use optimal amount of retinol or retinol derivatives in their eye creams so that you can get the benefits of a retinol while keeping the delicate under eye area in consideration.
- Peptides: Peptides are made up of amino acids and are small fragments of protein. As you age, the collagen in the skin depletes. The skin becomes thinner and wrinkled over time. When you apply collagen like peptides topically on your skin, they give signal to your skin to produce more collagen. Eventually it helps in regaining firmness and suppleness. Since peptides are smaller molecules, they can penetrate into deeper layers of your skin. Peptides when combined with anti oxidants and skin soothing ingredients make for powerful anti-ageing combination.
- Hyaluronic acid: It is another effective anti-ageing ingredient. It is already present in our skin. Hyaluronic acid attracts and retains moisture in our skin. Hyaluronic acid creams keep under eye area moisturised and hydrated. if dryness under the eyes is your concern, look for this magical ingredient in your eye cream.
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants help in fighting environmental stressors and help in taking years off of your skin. Vitamin E and Vitamin C are powerful anti ageing ingredients that most eye creams have. While Vitamin E could help in fighting the damage caused by UV rays, Vitamin C on the other hand helps with collagen production and helps in firmness of the skin.
- Green tea and Caffeine: Both green tea and caffeine are powerful anti oxidants. Most under eye creams would also have these two ingredients. Green tea has calming effect on the skin and can help with puffiness of the under eyes. Caffeine reduces the puffiness under the eyes, increase blood circulation and helps in reducing dark under eye circles.
- Ceramides: These form a protective layer that help in retaining moisture in the skin. And this helps in keeping your under eye area hydrated and plumped.
HOW TO APPLY UNDER EYE CREAM
- Eye cream should be applied using the ring finger around the orbital bone of the eye. Ring finger is the weakest finger so it applies the least amount of pressure on your delicate under eye area. Don’t rub or pull. Gently tap in the eye creamand if you are massaging, make sure there is enough slip so that you don’t rub the under eye area.
- Apply eye cream on the orbital bone, on the sides of the eyes and around the brow bone area. Mostly our eye lids have their natural oils but if your eye lids are dry, you can apply eye cream on your eye lids too.
- Use only a dime-sized amount for your eye cream. Apply your eye cream both morning and evening.
- Apply your eye cream just before you apply your moisturiser.
- Use your eye cream or any other skincare at least 30 minutes before bed time so that your skincare has time to set in. You don’t want your expensive skincare to be rubbed all over your pillow.
BEST UNDER EYE CREAMS
1. KIEHL’S CREAMY EYE TREATMENT WITH AVOCADO
If you are looking for a good moisturising cream that keeps your under eye area hydrated, this is the one. It is light weight, soaks well into the skin and keeps under eye area nourished. It also includes avocado oil, which is a natural source of amino acid proteins, Vitamins A, D, E and Potassium. Also includes shea butter which helps in keeping undereye area hydrated. This eye cream also has Beta-Carotene, which is a naturally-derived antioxidant found in red vegetables such as carrots.
2. DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE FERULIC + RETINOL EYE CREAM
It is one of the best anti ageing under eye creams in the market. If wrinkles, fine lines, dark circles are your main concern, this is your hero product. It contains a powerful combination of ferulic acid (anti oxidant that helps encourage elastin and collagen synthesis) and retinol (anti ageing). It is also formulated without parabens. This product is vegan and cruelty free.
3. LA MER THE EYE CONCENTRATE
It is one of the most technologically advanced under eye cream available in the market. It includes a proprietary blend that includes red algae and kelp gel to temporarily tighten and lift skin and Miracle Broth that helps under eyes in five ways in bringing skin back to its healthiest center – moisture, smoothing, radiance, regeneration and soothing. Great to use underneath your makeup as well. It is formulated Without Parabens, Phthalates, Sulfates.
4. ELIZABETH ARDEN CERAMIDE LIFT AND FIRM EYE CREAM SUNSCREEN SPF 15
This potent eye cream infuses your under eyes with ceramides that help in minimising the look of fine lines, and wrinkles. The ceramide lipid complex is meant to target fine lines, crow’s feet, wrinkles, puffiness, and under eye discolouration. It moisturises skin well and also contains SPF to protect your eyes from sun damage on a day to day basis.
5. REVIVE INTENSITÉ LES YEUX FIRMING EYE CREAM
This cream has a peptide-driven mechanism, which helps in improving firmness and elasticity around the delicate under eye area. It brightens the under eye area, is gentle on the skin and is loved by women all across. This cream also helps with puffiness and reducing the dark circles.
6. TATA HARPER RESTORATIVE EYE CREME
If you are looking for a natural, “no nasties” under eye cream, this is the one for you. 100% ingredients in this eye cream are from natural origin and 66% ingredients are from organic farming. This under eye cream targets dark circles, fine lines, wrinkles and loss of firmness on the under eyes. It’s produced every two weeks on demand, to guarantee the freshness, potency and efficacy of the bio-active formula, which contains living enzymes and botanical extracts. This under eye cream is free of Sulfates SLS and SLES, parabens, formaldehydes, formaldehyde-releasing agents, phthalates, mineral oil, retinyl palmitate, oxybenzone, coal tar, hydroquinone, Triclosan, Triclocarban.
7. LANCER EYE CONTOUR LIFTING CREAM
This technologically advanced eye cream used MDCP Complex containing caffeine-based firming agents, light diffusers and a potent collagen-boosting peptide system to fill fine lines, minimize puffiness, and neutralize dark circles. Includes peptides, shea butter, hyaluronic acid and antioxidants. A win-win for every thing you need in your under eye cream.
8. ALGENIST COMPLETE EYE RENEWAL BALM
This is a vegan under eye cream that minimizes the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles,
brightens dark circles, reduces puffiness & fatigue, and nourishes and soothes. The eye cream contains Alguronic Acid that helps with cells renewal. This under eye cream also contains powerful ingredients such as caffeine, vitamin C, aloe cucumber and green tea. A powerful combination of everything you need in your under eye cream.
9. OMOROVICZA BLUE DIAMOND EYE CREAM
This eye cream has Hydro Mineral Transference™ – a, which is a delivery system to enable the absorption of minerals into the deeper layers of skin. It also includes, shea butter ( for moisture), Hungarian thermal water ( full of minerals that get absorbed in deeper layers of skin), peptides that helps in firmness of skin, hyaluronic acid, and squalene ( a powerful natural antioxidant and anti ageing product). No wonder, a lot ofwomen swear by this eye cream.
10. KATE SOMERVILLE LINE RELEASE UNDER EYE REPAIR CREAM
It’s a powerful under eye cream that includes Matrixyl™ 3000 (advanced peptides blend) that penetrates into the deeper layers of skin and helps with firmness of the under eye area and reduces puffiness. Also includes a strong boost of antioxidants such as Vitamin A, C and E. It also contains soybean protein and cucumber extract that help in moisturising and soothing the skin. This is an overall master eye cream.
Pick any of these handpicked eye creams according to your preferences and see the benefits within a short time. Note that we would get a small commission if you buy the products through some of the above links.