Vlogging regularly has become a whole new career path for dedicated bloggers/vloggers in terms of full-time blogging on their blogging platforms like You Tube, considerably the next “Google” for video searches. It’s a platform for content creators to express their creativity and passion, and make business out of it or even a sure-shot way to become a Internet celebrity. But whether you’re leaping into vlogging for the first time or just planning to have a makeover for your vlogging equipment, it’s a formidable task to choose new cameras for youtube videos that help in creating high definition video content for various social media platforms.
So, if you’re considering to become a YouTuber, you need to sit down and consider several factors before taking the plunge. Creating quality videos, when there are a good number of successful YouTubers excelling with utmost passion and true effort and providing quality content, is not easy as it looks. There are lots of technical details involved in producing good content into videos that the viewers can relate to and enjoy watching till the video ends. Thus, it becomes important to choose the right equipment as it is directly going to impact the quality of the video you are going to showcase for viewers. The vlogging camera you would eventually pick would decide the visual clarity, sound quality, and overall quality of your content.
Deciding on a camera for youtube videos is an individual choice, especially considering ease of use and budget factor.
Equipment Needed to start YouTube Channel:
YouTube now has become a very competitive space. If you fail to attract your audience with creativity and entertaining content, you might get lost in the crowd. And if you are a beginner, it’s important to put in some extra effort to improve the visual quality of videos to stand out and to gain viewers and more subscribers. Looking at the successful and established video creators, they invest in sophisticated video producing equipment and good-quality vlogging cameras for youtube.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR YOUTUBE VIDEOS
Here’s a list of basic videos creating equipment that a YouTuber must have before starting their own channel:
It’s the most important equipment from the list for shooting a video. But before you head out to buy a camera for yourself, know your brand and model well enough as it’s not always necessary to go for expensive DSLRs, Action Cameras or a Camcorders. Basic need of the camera is to produce high definition videos with good visual quality (at least 1080p).
One can also opt for a camcorder or a webcam if they are pretty new to the world of vlogging but having a DSLR or a mirrorless camera will be a good investment if you are planning to stick to your passion of vlogging for a longer time and make a career out of it.
Choose any of the below type of cameras for youtube based on what you are planning to capture.
Types of Cameras For Youtube Videos
- Camcorders: Specifically designed to create videos. They are compact, lightweight, affordable and easy for shooting and handling for outdoor shots.
- Webcam: Best option if you plan to have indoor shots or screensharing recordings to make. Easy to stream, affordable; and since they are directly connected to your system, you can have live streaming sessions for your viewers. Best for bloggers who share tutorials for their viewers to learn from.
- Action Camera: Most compact and portable type of camera that lets youtubers capture any moment indoor or outdoor with complete stability. A best handy camera for all travel bloggers to shoot their adventurous activities on the go with high-quality videos and durability.
- DSLR: It’s the most commonly used device among vloggers as it helps produce quality videos. Though few models of various brands are on the expensive side, but nevertheless, DSLRs is a good investment to make if you are aiming to become a full-time youtuber.
- Mirrorless Camera: These have recently become popular among both photographers and vloggers due to its capability of shooting on-the-go action, giving a cinematic 4k experience with features like image stabilization, flip-out screen, real time output with HDMI for viewing the footage on another screen
DSLR VS MIRRORLESS CAMERA, WHICH IS BETTER?
A few years back it was easy to answer, own a DSLR and you are on the right path of photography. But today the choice is between the two dynamic varieties- DSLR and a Mirrorless camera. There is a pause when someone happens to go through a question like this. Let’s educate ourselves before we get stumped with this question.
- 1. Size and Weight: DSLR tends to have wider and bulky camera body, as it fits in both a mirror and a prism. A mirrorless camera body is smaller, when compared to DSLRs, with a simple construct.
- 2. Autofocus Speed: DSLRs have the technology called phase detection which instantly measures the convergence of two beam light. In Mirrorless Camera now have both phase detection and contract detection sensor built into the image sensor.
- 3. Image Stabilization: Shaky hands lead to blurry image. Both DSLRs and Mirrorless camera offer image stabilization system. Some mirrorless cameras move both lens element and the sensor in a synchronized manner to give much more stable image.
- 4. Image Quality: It is widely considered that both cameras take high quality pictures with almost similar resolution and graininess called noise. With equivalent sensors and image processor both the cameras are capable enough to take good quality images.
- 5. Video Quality: Mirrorless cameras are generally considered better for videos because of their on-chip focus sensor whereas DSLR can’t use phase detection with the mirror up while recording videos hence it ends up using slow and less accurate contrast detection focus method. Mirrorless camera is capable of capturing 4K and Ultra HD video with great resolution.
- 6. Shooting Speed: The simpler mechanics of mirrorless cameras allows them to shoot more images per second at higher speed even though most of the mirrorless cameras use a mechanical shutter.
- 7. Image and Video Playback: Both the cameras are capable of displaying images on their screens or via HDMI cable connected to laptop or television. Many cameras have the facility of WIFI compatibility for sending images to smartphones or sharing digitally instantly.
- 8. Battery Life: Generally, DSLRs offer better battery life because it can shoot without using the LCD screen or electronic view finder which tends to drain the battery at faster rate. Both DSLR and Mirrorless Camera come with removable batteries.
- 9. Durability: Both the types of camera have hardened against the element used to make their body.
- 10. Lens and Accessories: With DSLR you get access to plethora of lens from numerous manufactures, ranging cheapest to most expensive to professional lens. Whereas with mirrorless camera you are restricted to few lenses from the camera maker.
For better sound quality to improve the overall content. Using an external microphone helps to record high quality sound with a cinematic 4K video. Built-in microphones of the system usually are not capable enough of providing clear voice quality as they not efficient enough in eliminating ambient sounds.
Choose any of the below type of microphone to give your video quality touch:
- USB Microphone: Most common among YouTubers. A standard and easy-to-use set which is widely available and affordable.
- Condenser Microphones: Comes with an added feature of self- monitoring the voice and accordingly sets the vocal frequency.
- Shotgun Microphones: Popular high-quality voice recording option for a professional touch. It reduces noise that occurs due to mechanical vibrations around the speaker of mic. It has the capability to record clear vocal sounds eliminating ambient sounds.
- Lapel Microphones: A wireless mic that can be clipped to clothes and comes along with a transmitter. Using these mics at events with larger audiences is a plus.
3. TRIPOD OR A GIMBAL STABILIZER
To have stable videos. Having a shaky video distracts the viewers and reduces interest level. Having a stabilizing device to shoot gives better picture clarity and quality, giving the whole content a cinematic feel. Tripods are easy to adjust based on the capture you are planning to make.
- Tripod: Most affordable tool for setting up the camera for a still shot having the capability to be extended as per the requirement of the shot.
- Gimbal: It can hold the camera device still even in motion without producing shaky and jarring videos. It balances the camera and smoothen out the video.
Will help you video to be clear and brightened up with good visibility. Lighting is must if you are planning for an indoor shoot or making videos in dimly-lit areas. It will help brighten up the entire video.
Choose from below the type of lighting as per requirement to add ideal lightening without producing shadows:
- Soft box
- Umbrella light
- Ring light
5. VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE
Such as Final Cut, Kinestar, Imovie, Adobe Premiere, etc. Few of these are paid softwares available on yearly and quarterly subscriptions with full features, which again is a good investment in decorating your videos with visual effects and background music and making them more attractive to pique viewers interest level.
CAMERAS FOR YOUTUBE VIDEOS
What is that secret gadget that YouTubers use to get all that fame? This might be a haunting question for all budding vloggers trying to stand out in this competitive space called You Tube. The good thing about it is that there is so much variety in terms of content, its presentation and styling, that it opens up the scope of experimenting and learning from famous YouTubers (PewDiePie, Liza Koshy, Smosh, Casey Neistat, and many more), their individual style of vlogging specialties and the gadget that helps them draw more subscribers and viewers.
Having said that we are pretty much clear on what kind of equipment is needed before making vlogging on youtube a profession. Let’s also come back to listing the top cameras for youtube that youtubers use to create quality content;
1. NIKON D3300
one of the highest rated DSLR in its category.
- Superb Video Quality
- 24.4 Megapixel CMOS image sensor
- 15-55mm VR image Stabilization Lens
- 1080p full HD Video
- Wi-Fi Compatible
- Active D-Lightning (best for dark environment)
- Autofocus System
- Handy Shutter Button
- Fixed 3.0’ 921k-dot LCD
- 5fps continuous shooting
- 700 shot battery life
- Weighs: 460g
2. GOPRO HERO 7 BLACK
one of the most popular video cameras for youtube among travel vloggers.
- Hyper smooth Electronic image Stabilization
- Fancy new Time-lapse mode called Time Wrap
- 4K/30fps Recording
- 1080pVideo recording
- Comes with free 64gb micro SD Card
- Super Photo feature, where the camera automatically recognizes scenes and apply right camera settings.
- New Short Clip button for limiting the length of the video to few seconds
- 12 Megapixel Photos (HDR and Raw)
- Waterproof to 10m
- Capable of recording slow motion 120fps or 240fps (8x speed)
3. CANON EOS REBEL T6I
- Sensor: 24.5 MP APS-C CMOS
- 3.0-inch screen
- Vari-angle Touch screen and button dial control combination
- WIFI Compatible
- 1080 p video capture, full HD
- Auto focus
- Lens mount compatibility: Canon EF, Canon EF-S
- Burst Shooting, 5fps
- Weight: 555g
- Battery Life- 440 shots
4. NIKON COOLPIX S7000
Best digital camera for youtubers in market today.
- Full HD 1080/60i videos
- 18 scene mode for different type of shooting environment
- Wi-Fi Compatible
- 20x optical zoom
- 40x Dynamic Fine Zoom
- 3.0” LCD screen
- Auto Focus
- Available in Black, White, Pink and Gold
5. CANON POWERSHOT G7 X
Another digital camera that is favored for its ease of use.
- 20 MP BSI CMOS Sensor
- Compact with comfortable manual control
- Flip Up rear Touchscreen
- HDMI Output for immediate playback
- Enhance image quality even in low light conditions
- 1080p full HD Video
- 3.0’’ LCD screen
- Reduces image blur caused due to camera shake or vibration
- Scene modes like portrait, burst, snow, firework etc.
- Wi-Fi compatible
6. DJI OSMO POCKET
A camera gimbal that gives perfect stability to videos:
- Miniaturized Gimble
- Records 4K videos
- Easy smartphone attachment
- Amazing motion time lapses
- Gives silky smooth videos
- Active face tracking
- It has seat proof grip
- One-inch touch screen makes it easy to operate
- It has universal port for instantly connecting to a mobile device
- Weight: 116g
7. SONY RX100 IV
A compact camera for producing outdoor YouTube Videos:
- Shooting speed of 24fps
- Extra Zoom and hefty image stabilization for image sharpness and accuracy
- Creates 4K videos
- Excellent Slow-motion mode
- Tilting touch screen
- Features like touch focus and touch shutter makes shooting efficient
- Wi-Fi Compatible
- 20.1 Megapixel Digital Camera
8. CANON EOS 80D
One that is a great successor of EOD 70D with added new features.
- 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- 3.0’’ touch screen
- 1080/60p video capture
- 7fps continuous shooting
- Weather resistant body
- Wi-Fi Compatibility
- 7560-pixel RGB +IR Metering Sensor
- Weight: 730g
9. PANASONIC LUMIX G85
Best mirrorless camera for a youtuber.
- 4K and FHD60 Video support
- 5-axis dual image stabilizer
- Body is weather sealed, splash and dust proof
- 16mp digital live MOS sensor
- Live viewfinder
- Tilting Screen
- Time-lapse recording
- Remote Control
- It even has a mic port for better sound quality
- Light weight
- Wi-Fi compatibility
- 3.0’’ Touch LCD
- Mirrorless Camera
10. SONY ALPHA A6400
Best professional video camera for vlogging which is an out-seller sibling of Sony a6000.
- Speed X AI
- Real time eye AF
- Real time tracking
- 4-D Focus
- Up to 11fps bursts with AF/AE, up to 116 shots
- Ex or APS-C CMOS sensor
- Advance Image Processing
- 24.2MP Resolution
- Fine details and clarity
- More Shadow details
- Natural skin tones
- Creative movie production
- 4K HD R
- 1/4000s to 30s shutter speed range
- Wi-Fi Compatibility
- Weight: 403g
- Magnesium alloy body with its dust and moisture resistance capability
- Screen tilt up to 180 degrees.
11. CANON EOS 70D
Reliable and most common camera device among YouTubers.
- 20.2 MP APS-C Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus
- Wireless Control
- Data Transfer via app
- 7fps continuous shooting
- Silent Shutter mode
- Pixel based focusing
- Modes like Video snapshot (short GIF), Movie Digital Zoom
- 1080p Video recording
- Compact and Durable
12. CANON EOS 5D MARK III
A powerful photo camera used by YouTubers
- 22.3 MP full frame CMOS sensor
- DIGI 5+ Image Processor for noise reduction
- HDMI mini available
- Remote controlled
- 6fps continuous video shooting
- 3.2’’ screen
- Focus option for video
- Long lasting batteries
REASONS WHY YOUTUBERS PREFER THE ABOVE LISTED CAMERAS FOR YOUTUBE AND VLOGGING
- Video Resolution: Usually vloggers prefer using 4k video, which is now also supported by YouTube. It’s a great way of getting quality video with utmost clarity.
- Image Stabilization: If you are planning to shoot while moving, it’s important to have stabilized image that will prevent the video from being shaky or blurry.
- Wifi/ Bluetooth Compatibility: Connectivity is the future. Transferring videos and image directly to the system for editing is one major job that all vloggers find quite tedious. Thus, it’s important to have a device which is either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth compatible.
- SD Card: Another important factor is the memory. You don’t want to end up having a “memory full” issue while shooting a video or capturing pictures for your vlog. As HD footage tends to occupy more space, it’s better to invest in a SD card with good space.
Let’s also have a quick sneak-peak into what camera does our famous and favorite YouTubers use for vlogging that made them real YouTube stars with their creativity.
When you want to produce creative content and good quality videos, you definitely need to invest in a good camera to capture all you want to stream/present it to your viewers or followers. To do this, you can set up your budget and grab one of the above-listed cameras for youtube and go online or visit a store to get a demo of the camera and to know its workings. Content creators can choose a camera of their choice keeping in mind their video content, budget, and experience level. Don’t run towards buying expensive equipment’s as its not shelling money on high-end and top-rated models always, it’s taking into consideration what will be useful and handy to you. Also, to become a YouTuber, you might need more than just a great camera, so you don’t want to spend all of it on an expensive camera alone.
A youtube video is considered good content and creative when the overall production features like sound, music, video, images, layout, editing, etc. is of high quality, so one should wisely pick their shooting equipment like tripod, microphone, lighting, backdrop, editing tools, music etc.
Check all the possible criteria listed above in order to make a suitable choice so that your youtube vlogging career is a successful venture.
Until then, Keep Filming!