Most acne products can be extremely drying on acne-prone skin and on sensitive skin type, they can further cause irritation and inflammation, resulting in more breakouts. In a lot of cases, wrong acne products can make acne condition worse. Sensitive skin also responds to harsh products by making more oil which in turn leads to more sebum secretion which attracts bacteria and dirt. Most acne products have harsh ingredients that dry out skin and it can be terrible when your skin is on the sensitive side. So, it’s a vicious circle where you trying to get rid of acne and the condition gets aggravated due to excessive dryness caused by acne products. Don’t fret yet because there are acne treatments for sensitive skin which will clear out acne without causing any inflammation or redness. Though salicylic acid is a major acne-clearing ingredient for adult and cystic acne, on sensitive skin, higher concentrations of salicylic acid may not be the best choice. Natural ingredients like tea tree oil, honey, rosemary, aloe vera gel, green tea, peppermint oil, more apt for sensitive skin acne. Most importantly, natural remedies with lemon, apple cider vinegar and the likes should totally be avoided as they can aggravate acne. Above everything, take a serious look at your diet. Accumulated toxins and unprotected exposure to sun can make your skin extremely sensitive. Avoiding damaging your skin with harsh exfoliators. Use a gentle, soap-free face wash. But do not confuse sensitive skin type with irritation that may just happen if you are using the wrong makeup/skincare products. If you have sensitive skin, you have to be extremely careful of the stuff that goes on your skin. Makeup, skincare products, detergents, harsh soaps, can all aggravate and cause inflammation on sensitive skin. In this post, we list out the best acne products for sensitive skin so that you can too can flaunt acne-free, clear skin
HOW TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN
Our skin has a protective barrier on the surface which helps to lock the moisture in and keep skin healthy in general. When this moisture barrier gets disturbed, that’s when skin tends to become sensitive. While some people have sensitive skin because of hereditary factors and genes, a lot of others have compromised moisture barrier and sensitive skin because of overexposure to sun, environmental factors, hormonal imbalance, brackish water, wrong dietary choices, reaction to medications, external irritants like pollution, harsh ingredients, etc. Here’s how you can tell if you have sensitive skin:
- Your skin will be excessively dry and irritated at all times because of the imbalance in the moisture barrier and loss of moisture.
- Your skin feels itchy, stretchy, and tight most of the time.
- If each and every product stings and causes redness on your skin, then you have sensitive skin.
- If each and every product that you try on your face results in acne, then you have sensitive skin.
- You can see red and inflamed patches on your skin.
- Brush your fingers across the side of your face with a bit of pressure. If your skin turns red, then your skin is definitely sensitive.
- Skin that is prone to irritation and inflammation can be termed as sensitive.
- If fragranced skin care and makeup product leads to irritation, redness, and breakouts, then you have sensitive skin.
- Fragranced soaps and cleansers do not suit you.
- If you have burning sensation with new skincare products.
- If you are still confused whether you have sensitive skin or not, visit a dermatologist and let the doc assess your skin type.
- Extreme dryness and peeling of skin.
- Your skin is easily prone to breakouts.
- Your skin is easily prone to sunburns and tan.
HOW TO CHOOSE FACE WASH/ CLEANSER/ SKINCARE PRODUCTS FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
Those with sensitive skin need to be very careful while choosing their cleansers. Any random cleanser or face wash can cause dryness, redness, and strip natural oils from the face. When you have sensitive skin, opt for products with gentle and herbal ingredients. Cleansers with alcohol and AHAs, BHAs can aggravate acne and redness on sensitive skin. A facial cleanser is a product that would help clear out dirt, makeup, oil, grime, and environmental pollutants from your face. Here are some tips to choose the perfect cleanser for sensitive skin:
- Choose only soap-free cleansers.
- Pick SLS-free cleansers/face washes because sodium lauryl sulfate is a common irritant in beauty products.
- Avoid alcohol-based cleanser/face wash/skincare products.
- Propylene glycol should be avoided.
- Fragrance is a complete no no in cleansers for sensitive skin.
- Ingredients such as menthol, eucalyptus, camphor, witch hazel can aggravate sensitive skin issues.
- Avoid skincare products with parabens.
- Do not pick anything with sulfate written in the ingredients list.
- Pick only products with “non-comedogenic” label on them.
- Wear a broad spectrum sunscreen with UVA and UVA protection.
- Use water-based makeup and skincare.
- Look for labels with “gentle” written on them.
- Spot treat acne and breakouts instead of slathering acne treatments all over your face.
EVERYDAY HABITS THAT ARE GIVING ACNE TO YOUR SENSITIVE SKIN
Here are some everyday habits that you are following that may actually be contributing to or flaring up your acne. Identify them and quit them at the earliest:
- Using makeup and skin care products with added fragrance and color should be totally avoided. Added fragrance is a common irritant and can cause acne. Do your sensitive skin a favor and quit perfumed makeup and skincare products.
- Avoid lanolin – it’s basically sebum from sheep and it’s not at all good for acne-prone sensitive skin.
- Avoid mineral oil – there’s nothing more worse for any sensitive skin other than mineral oil. Mineral oil can form a layer on the skin and trap dead skin cells and bacteria leading to acne.
- Avoid petrolatum – it can clog pores in sensitive skin.
- Avoid isopropyl Myristate – Can irritate skin and clog pores.
- Using cleansers that rip moisture from your face can cause dry out your skin, which will in turn trigger more oil production, and so the vicious cycle will continue. Avoid alcohol-based cleansers and toners completely.
- Use an oil-free moisturizer that would not clog up the pores.
- Stress can aggravate all bad things, let go of stress and just chill.
- It’s time to change your pillowcase – most of the times, acne flareups are a result of dirty pillowcases with bacteria glued on them. Pick mild detergents with soft fragrances to do the laundry because harsh detergents are bad for sensitive skin.
- Wipe off bacteria and dirt from your phone screen. Have you thought about how badly bacteria infested your phone screen is, don’t even think, ewwww…..just use a screen wipe to get a clean screen and clean skin 😛
- Switch to a healthy diet – a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies can work like magic on skin and clear out most of your acne.
BEST ACNE PRODUCTS FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
1. NEUTROGENA ON-THE-SPOT ACNE TREATMENT
Some acne treatments contain high doses of the Benzoyl Peroxide, which can irritate sensitive skin. It can also cause redness and dryness which can make acne worse. This on the spot treatment contains just 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide which is effective on acne without causing any dryness, stinging or burning, it’s apt for spot treatment on sensitive skin. It’s fast-acting formula that is oil free and non-comedogenic formula.
2. ORIGINS SUPER SPOT REMOVER ACNE TREATMENT GEL
This product has salicylic acid that helps with fast healing of acne and red algae helps to calm redness and irritation associated with sensitive skin. The anti-spot formula also helps to fade spots. Sensitive skin will be happy to know that Origins Super Spot Remover Acne Treatment Gel is formulated without parabens, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfate, propylene glycol, mineral oil, DEA, petrolatum, paraffin, polyethylene beads, formaldehyde and animal ingredients. Suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin.
3. CLEAN AND CLEAR ESSENTIALS FOAMING FACIAL CLEANSER SENSITIVE SKIN
As the name suggests, it’s a facial cleanser that’s oil free and removes makeup, oil, and dirt without drying out the skin and especially formulated for sensitive skin.
4. ELF ACNE FIGHTING SPOT GEL WITH ALOE
It’s an acne treatment from a very affordable brand. You would be surprised that it’s priced at just 2 dollars and helps to combat breakouts. This treatment comes in a roll-on kind of a tube, infused with salicylic acid, witch hazel, camphor, tea tree, green tea, and aloe. The treatment helps to tackle acne and reduce redness and swelling, and heal pimples for clear skin. This product is free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates.
5. PIXI GLOW TONIC
Pixi glow tonic has become a cult-favorite for all skin types. It has glycolic acid at a low percentage of just 5% which helps to deeply clean pores by clearing away oil and impurities, prevents breakouts. Pixi Glow Tonic exfoliates skin and the aloe vera present in the toner helps to soothe and hydrate skin. With regular use, you would get bright and glowing complexion. This glow tonic is alcohol free, heals and soothes skin, suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin because it is alcohol-free formula. It does not dry or irritate sensitive skin when compared to The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toner.
6. MARIO BADESCU DRYING LOTION
This is a hot favorite of youtube gurus, bloggers, and celebrities alike. This salicylic acid, sulfur, and calamine dries out blemishes overnight. This fast-acting, effective spot treatment is specially formulated with Salicylic Acid, Sulfur, and Zinc Oxide to help draw impurities from the skin and target pesky problems while you sleep.
7. NEUTROGENA OIL-FREE ACNE WASH
It combines a powerful acne treatment and cleanser in one formula to treat and help prevent breakouts in one simple step. Not only does the oil-free formula gently cleanse deep to pores for clear skin, it contains salicylic acid to help get rid of acne and help prevent future breakouts. The skin soothing agents in this highly popular cleanser helps to prevent irritation and over-drying, so it rinses clean and is never oily. It is an oil free and non-comedogenic product.
8. DR. DENNIS GROSS ALPHA BETA ULTRA GENTLE DAILY PEEL FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
It’s a daily peel that has been especially formulated for sensitive skin. These pads are soaked in three gentle acids along with soothing botanical agents that exfoliate and nourish sensitive skin and combat the three most common signs of ageing.
9. BURT’S BEES NATURAL ACNE SOLUTIONS TARGETED SPOT TREATMENT
At the outset, we would like to mention that this is a fragrance-free product and sensitive skin types love scent-free skincare products. This spot treatment has tea tree oil that reduces breakouts and redness. This is a 99.9% dermatologist tested product which is also non-comedogenic and formulated without Parabens, Phthalates, Petrolatum or SLS.
10. DR. HAUSCHKA COVER STICK
Dr. Hauschka Cover stick is a soothing concealer stick that helps treat acne and minimizes their appearance. It’s a paraben-free product with vitamin C, vitamin E, tea tree and
manuca oils as main ingredients.
11. THE BODY SHOP TEA TREE SKIN CLEARING DAILY SOLUTION
The entire “Tea Tree” range from The Body Shop is treat all types of acne, including acne on sensitive skin. This lightweight daily solution helps combat blemishes and improves the overall condition of skin. Its enriched with Community Trade tea tree oil and with regular use and in combination with other products from TBS’s Tea Tree range, it helps you achieve acne-free, clear skin.
12. CLINIQUE CITY BLOCK PURIFYING CHARCOAL MASK AND SCRUB
It’s a detoxifying and exfoliating clay mask that polishes skin with natural ingredients like bamboo charcoal and kaolin clay that help remove pollution and impurities along with silica beads gently refine texture. It is 100% allergy tested, 100% fragrance free, dermatologist tested.
13. TATCHA WATER CREAM
If you are looking for a good moisturizer for your acne-prone sensitive skin, Tatcha Water Cream is a great option with its oil-free formula enriched with skin-improving Japanese nutrients and powerful botanicals for beautiful skin.
Use some of these acne products for sensitive skin and keep yourself away pimples, inflammation, and dryness forever. Do note that if you purchase these acne products for sensitive skin using some of the above links, we would get a small commission. 🙂